Spreading fertilizer in your lawn could be exhausting at times, but we all want this beautiful backyard with green, shiny grass correctly distributed that you’d want to sleep on it. You might have even tried to get those results by hand and figured out that you are killing your grass.
Well, we might have the perfect solution that would make it an easy automated process. Here is a review of the best handheld fertilizers for small to medium yards (around 6000 square feet or less).
- Scotts Wizz
- Scotts Whirl
- EARTHWAY Hand Crank Bag
- Solo Chest-mount Spreader
- EarthWay chest-mounted
- TIPU Hand Spreader Shaker
Why are handheld fertilizer spreaders great?
- They do not have wheels, which makes them easy to control when spreading the fertilizer.
- You don’t have to worry about stepping over your crops or vegetables.
- Help you avoid fertilizers burn with an even distribution
- Increases accuracy and is highly efficient.
- It saves a tone of time compared to spreading manually
- Saves money, using the minimum amount of fertilizers for maximum results.
- Can help you bloom your yard with vivid colors through the growing season
- They are lightweight and easy to control
Options for handheld fertilizer spreaders:
handheld granule spreader:
Quickly found with a large variety of products with various compositions of nutrients for different needs.
The solid form of the fertilizer makes it easier to spread it in an even manner, making it effortless to avoid over and under fertilization of parts of the lawn.
Chest mounted fertilizer spreaders:
A chest-mounted unit is the most comparable to the handheld one; they share the same specifics with a comfortable handling style in the front of your body.
They usually come with the option to use solid granules or liquid fertilizer.
Features and benefits of each product:
- It is a battery-powered spreader that you can use year round
- Designed to cover up to 2, 500 sq. ft
- 5-foot broadcast with control of EdgeGuard Technology
- Powered by 4 AA batteries with 23 settings for unbeatable accuracy
- Perfectly designed to spread lawn seed, fertilizer and weed control products
- Perfect handheld spreader for small yards
- Holds up to 1,500 sq ft
- Great for year-round use, To weed, seed, fertilize, and apply ice melt.
- Engineered for smooth, even coverage.
- Adjustable arm support helps provide maximum comfort
- Features an adjustable arm support that provides maximum comfort.
- It comes fully assembled and is ready to use.
- Fingertip levers control direction and volume
- Large opening allows easy filling and cleaning
- 20 lbs weight Capacity hopper
- Handles seed, sand, ice melter without frequent refills
- Screw on cap prevents spillage and protects operator from chemicals and dust.
- Chest mount ensures snug fit and exceptional maneuverability to reduce fatigue by an even distribution of weight.
- Rugged polyethylene and stainless steel components prevent rust and clogging.
- Lubricated gears, fully enclosed gear box, assure long life and durability.
- designed for spreading a variety of solid chemicals on uneven terrain more conveniently than a wheeled spreader.
- It can handle particles as fine as sand or as large as rock salt.
- provides the operator with unmatched maneuverability.
- Fingertip levers control flow, volume, and direction
- Extremely smooth operation
- Agitator allows material to drop evenly ensuring uniform spread and preventing blockages
Fingertip levers control flow, volume, and direction to ensure an even spread and application.
Gear Drive & Crank Handle
Lubricated gears, fully enclosed in the gear box, assure long life and durability. Crank handle delivers extremely smooth operation.
Prevents spillage and protects operator from chemicals and dust.
From seed to fertilizer to rock salt to sand, the 421-S is designed to spread all season long ensuring you meet your application needs.
This spreader is easy to use and specifically built for hilly and rough terrain.
Easy to use you just Strap into this spreader and crank with every step!
The adjustable strap lets you adjust the spreader to the perfect height allowing you to have a perfect grip on the crank.
it is built with those hard to reach places in mind. Take the 3100 even to those places that a push spreader won’t go!
- Efficient use: without wasting any ingredients.
- Effortlessly spread salt on driveways & walkways.
- Versatile: has 3 Adjustable Openings for spreading any material you need.
- No need to charge anything or replace batteries.
- Easy to use: just by Twist open the lid, fill the garden Spreader, screw the lid back on, and spread as Much as You Like.
- Ergonomic Handle for Comfort: Spacious handle design provides a comfortable experience for evenly and consistently garden spread work.
- Portability: Durable and multifunctional tool. Made of sturdy plastic, Up to 80 Oz, Lifetime.
Tipu Hand Spreader is the most efficient and easy spreader for Lawn and garden fertilizer, grass seeds & winter spreading materials.
Winter spreading materials such as sand, salt, grit and ice melt can now be evenly spread in smaller areas with this hand spreader.
Spread salt ice melter in winter to your driveway, sidewalk, steps, and so on
Before you buy:
How to choose your perfect fit:
Even though Handheld fertilizer spreaders might be similar at doing the main job of “distribution,” they are not made the same. So each one has unique features or forms to meet the requirement of different needs.
Handheld fertilizers aren’t made for large fields, and their coverage is limited; there is a possibility if you have the whole day for it, but we recommend you go with another option such as a pull-behind or pushed spreader.
Precision and spreading controls
You don’t want to spread the majority of your fertilizer in one area of your backyard and keep the other parts without anything left, so we suggest choosing a fertilizer spreader with controls to adjust the rate of spread and coverage.
-Dials help set a time frame to release the contained fertilizer; the more time you put, the slower it will remove the fertilizer vice versa.
-controlling edges to spread fertilizer at a limited angle to avoid waste
-stopping controls from ending or pausing the process whenever you want
Consistency, accuracy, and precision
Always consider the fertilizer spreader’s durability and avoid buying the one with fragile materials if you wish to keep it for an extended period.
Look For handheld fertilizer spreaders with the most robust build with durable plastic and metal, and make sure the broadcast mechanism is built to last.
Weight and design:
Try to get a tool that has a balance between weight and design, where you get something comfortable to work with and not hurt your back or shoulders.
Battery-powered or manually operated:
Depending on your personal preferences, you can choose between an automated fertilizer spreader that you walk with it wherever you want to distribute the fertilizer or a manual one that lets you have manual control over it.
Frequently asked questions:
Is it possible to use liquid and granules with the same spreader?
Indeed, there are some types of handheld and chest-mounted units that let you do just that.
How many times a year should I use fertilization?
Depending on the climate you live in, the type of grass you have in your yard, and the fertilizer you are using. Start by reading the instructions on the labels of your fertilizer.
In general, you should do well with a range of 2 to 4 times a year, especially after the spring and in the middle of the summer. Try not to spread when rainfall is coming; otherwise, you may lose all the nutrients with it.