In this article, we are going to be reviewing the different kinds of handheld cultivators and tillers to give you an overall idea of the available options depending on your needs.
Choose what works for you:
If you are working on a minimal part of the garden that has loos soil, we recommend checking our selection of manual tools for tilling.
They function the same as a spade and can be compared to it size and weight.
If you have a small garden to work consistently and you are serious about taking the best care of your garden, manual tools are time-consuming and inefficient; consider a handheld cultivator or a tiller:
Depending on your gardening needs (large or small) and the hardness of the soil available (hard or loose)
Small handheld cultivators
These work perfectly in small yards or between beds, they have the necessary power for a day of work in the garden with one batteries charge and you can benefit from the cordless feature to move around freely.
Large tillers and handheld cultivators
Those handheld tillers and cultivators are still electric powered but they need much more energy due to the power they provide and the size of their tills and so they are corded
Here we brought to you a unique brand that makes the most versatile super-powered handheld cultivators that you can equip with a bunch of accessories and do any type of garden work.
Difference between gas tillers and electric tillers (handheld cultivators) :
Handheld Cultivators could be gas or electric (corded and cordless) people usually refer to them as electric tillers.
Electric tillers are frequently used to improve the growth and health of your lawn.
–Easy to start, with the press of a button
–lightweight, small size machines that are easier to carry around
–maintenance-free: no refueling, oil change, or filter change
–cheaper than gas-powered tillers
–Have short tines that allow you to weed and get rid of dead grass,
-could be used to aerate and cultivate the spaces between your crops and your raised beds
-you can use them to add amendments to the soil without damage
-Less powerful, due to the built and small engine
-Can’t break new ground, rocks, and compacted soil
short tines that are not made to do heavy-duty work
-Does Not work in soil with thick plant roots
There are two types: corded and cordless; they do closely similar work, although one has an added battery to help with portability.
-Gas-powered tillers are better at digging deeper, working on compact soil and new ground
-Good at lifting aerating and improving drainage.
-Handling rocky soil
-Gas tillers are Harder to work with and maneuver
It could destroy if used on a densely planted landscape by going deep into the soil, harming the plants’ root system, and displacing worms.
Characteristics of handheld cultivators
Handheld cultivators could be gas or electric (corded or cordless). Choose the one that you judge fits your needs.
The good thing about electric tillers is that they don’t require plenty of maintenance to continue working. You can start using it by pressing a button without having to pull a cord.
The tines in most handheld cultivators are not designed to go deep into the soil, making them easier to maneuver and work best at loosening the ground in an operated area but less efficient if you have compacted soil. For that, we recommend choosing a handheld cultivator that has deep slicing tines or consider a mini-tiller.
Reversible tines are a handy feature to have; choose adaptable cultivators to pair them with different kinds of attachments that can diversify its use and make it a multipurpose tool.
You can find many sorts of attachments that will ensure ongoing attention for your garden, such as: detaching your lawn, aerating your soil, and edging your garden plot even to turn your compost and provide air.
Other uses of handheld cultivators :
-break the crust that occurs to exposed soil to better circulation of the air, water, and nutrients to reach the roots.
-Make it an easier task for germinated seeds to break through the soil.
-A tremendous touch before sowing your seeds.
Corded vs. Cordless:
Cordless benefits :
-won’t ruin your delicate plantings by dragging the cord over them.
-Power will last most (if not all) your gardening needs in small size gardens.
-they can reach places where no-tillers can either because of their size or the cord
-Some of the corded cultivators will provide more power (not strictly real for most models).
-you won’t have to charge it every time (plug it and use it)
Advice for cordless handheld cultivators:
-Always choose lithium rechargeable batteries over traditional ones; the lithium technology provides consistent power throughout your usage and doesn’t require full discharge before charging it again.
-Try choosing one that has a long-lasting battery life.
Before buying :
Before you buy your dream tiller or cultivator, we recommend you check these factors to get the suitable product for your specific needs:
Soil is a defining factor, so make sure you know what type you will be facing; the more heavy and compacted soil, the more you need power, for example, clay.
See if you have rocks or gravel in the soil. in these cases, cultivators are not recommended
Ask yourself if you are going to break new ground continuously?
The price is a decisive factor in buying these machines, and we found out that electric is considerably cheaper than gas-powered.
Be safe when working with those machines. Make sure you’re wearing a proper outfit for your security.
Turn it off if you feel it is getting out of control.
Features and benefits of each product
- Easy to start, quiet and easy to carry
- no fuel mixing required,
- the Mantis 4-cycle Plus Tiller weighs only 24 pounds.
- Featuring a premium 4-cycle engine powered by Honda,
- has soft, sure-grip handles that are ergonomically flared for fatigue-free operation.
- this tiller tough enough to till through sod and compacted dirt
- this work-saver Infinite speed means you can power your tiller up when you need to, or work more gently if the situation requires.
- The unique, curvy tines (blades) can till a full 10 inches deep.
- with a simple flip of the tines, you can precision-weed around delicate plants and seedlings!
- This is a gardening tool you’ll use all season long!
- Convenient, Versatile, and Durable
- the Mantis Tiller/Cultivator features folding handle bars which make it convenient to store in a garage or tool shed.
Mantis Tiller Plow Attachment allows you to do more with your Mantis 7000 Series Tiller Cultivator! Form straight uniform furrows, both deep and shallow much faster and more simply than you could by hand.
- Quiet, instant-starting, 3-speed 540 watt motor
- Weighs just 21 pounds, but as powerful as a gas model
- The compact 9-inch width allows the tiller to get into tight spaces around your yard that larger tillers cannot get to.
- The unique, curvy tines can be used to till down 10 inches deep. Or, simply turn the tines around to shallow cultivate the top 2 to 3 inches of soil
- Folds for easy transport and storage
- Engine: Electric, 115V double-insulated ¾ hp, 540W circuit breaker No fuel required
- Power source type: Corded Electric
- Engine type: 2-Stroke
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN 38” tall with a step plate that centers you over the tool, a solid ½” powder coated steel shaft and a wide 12” T handle that reduces the effort of twisting, using the force of your body to easily rotate sharp angled claw tines into hard compacted soil.
- LOOSENS, TURNS, TILLS AND AERATES soil promoting the free flow of water, air, and fertilizer for a healthier and more beautiful yard and garden.
- PERFECT SIZE FOR RAISED BEDS, flower boxes, around shrubs or bushes and other hard to reach areas. Ideal for mixing fertilizer or peat moss amendments and preparing a bed for planting. Makes weeding easy.
- Tough, Sustainable, Innovative and Built For Life
- The extra wide high leverage handle and weight centering middle step plate of the Yard Butler Twist Tiller drives six claw spikes deep into the ground breaking up the hard compacted top layer of soil. This allows for easy weeding and planting and promotes the free flow of water, air and fertilizer for a healthier and more beautiful garden.
- The Twist Tiller can also be used for mixing compost adding soil amendments and digging holes for planting.
- It is perfect for preparing raised bed gardens for vegetables or flowers
- The heavy duty all steel design is built for a lifetime of use.
- Yard Butler offers a full No Risk 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee
- The sharp, angled claws dig into the ground to break up the hard, packed soil.
- DUAL ACTION HEAD One side has three sturdy steel prongs for cultivating, breaking, loosening and deep tilling soil.
- The other side is a sharpened beveled edge that is perfect for chopping and cutting roots.
- PERFECT WEIGHT AND HEFT Heavy duty steel head is completely welded onto the all steel handle with comfort grip. PLANTS, TILLS, DIGS, CHOPS. No wooden handle to split or shrink. VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE.
- PERFECT SIZE FOR RAISED BEDS, vegetables, flower boxes, around shrubs or bushes, and other hard to reach areas. Makes gardening easy.
- YARD BUTLER’S NO RISK 30 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If it is not perfect for you, return it for a full refund or replacement.
- Three sturdy prongs make the TerraTiller effective for deep tilling and cultivating. The sharpened blade is great for easy cutting.
- Powerful cordless electric motor bundled with 20 volt 2.0Ah lithium-ion battery and fast charger
- Versatile handheld cultivator ideal for any garden size, yard and flower bed; This tiller is also an effective weed control tool
- 4 durable steel tines with convenient cutting width of up to 7.5 inches and cutting depth of 6 inches
- Cordless tiller is a cleaner alternative to gas-powered tillers
- Lightweight tiller design for effortless operation and easy transport
- Planet-conscious cordless electrical tiler
- Lightweight and versatile rototiller with ergonomic handle
- Earthwise TC70040 11-Inch 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Tiller/Cultivator with battery and charger included
- convenient and planet-conscious cordless design
- This gardening tiller is lightweight, yet powerful enough to plow hard-packed ground with a depth of up to 7.5 inches and an adjustable width of up to 6 inches.
- This small electric rotor tiller is lightweight at 9 lbs, easy to use and transport.
- The cordless design allows you to move freely in your garden
- You can plow the soil effortlessly as you guide this tiller with ease.
- this small tiller is easy to maneuver.
- you can easily store it in your shed
- has the power to give you plenty of time for you to cultivate your garden or lawn
- very powerful for its size
- You can charge it as you rest with the fast charger
- This soil tiller is plant-friendly since it does not emit fumes from burning fuel or oil
- you don’t need gas, oil or regular maintenance to keep it going.
- is ideal for larger gardens because you don’t have to deal with long extension cords across your lawn.
- Its battery has a run-time of approximately 45 minutes, depending on the soil conditions
- A full charge is usually enough to cover most lawns.
- you can charge the tiller with the included fast charger as you rest or you can get a spare lithium-ion battery.
It can conveniently cultivate your soil with a width of 7.5 inches and a depth of 6 inches.
This cordless electrical tiller is powerful and long-lasting,
you can effectively plow the soil while getting rid of weeds.
Earthwise power tiller is easy to use, so you can focus on growing your healthy plants.
- Powerful transmission with dual tines break up soil to allow water and nutrients to reach plant roots
- Powered by 20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery, with longer lifespan and charge retention than NiCad batteries
- Cultivates up to 325 square feet per charge
- Counter-oscillating tines prevent weeds from tangling
- 2-year limited warranty; includes battery and Energy Star-qualified charger
Ideal for cultivating garden beds, weeding, and more,
this battery-powered handheld cultivator can cultivate up to 325 feet on a single charge.
Counter-oscillating tines prevent weeds from tangling.
- This electric lawn and garden equipment releases zero emissions in your yard.
- No more tangled weeds thanks to counter oscillating tines.
- The lightweight upright design helps lessen arm fatigue while cultivating.
- Counter-oscillating tines prevent weeds from tangling
- The adjustable handle and telescoping tube allows to adjust the handheld cultivator for maximum comfort.
- Soft grip handle provides added comfort during use.
Ideal for cultivating garden beds, landscape beds, and weeding, the Black & Decker LGC120 cordless garden cultivator/tiller
easily breaks up soil to allow water and nutrients to reach plant roots.
It’s also great for prepping dry spots in lawn for seeding plus existing beds for planting.
The two long tines are small enough to maneuver in between plants and counter-oscillating tines prevent weeds from tangling.
The telescoping shaft adjusts for the perfect length, allowing you to operate it standing up without bending over.
This upright design combined with the comfortable grips and an adjustable auxiliary handle means that you can work longer without over-taxing muscles and joints.
This cultivator is powered by a 20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery that offers a longer lifespan and retains its charge 5x longer than similar 18-volt NiCad batteries
you won’t be limited by an extension cord.
It’s compatible with the full line of Black & Decker’s 20-volt MAX line of power and gardening tools.
You’ll be able to cultivate up to 325 square feet per charge.
The battery is also designed with 50 percent less battery weight
the unit weighs a total of 8.1 pounds with battery installed.
The included Energy Star-qualified charger will charge a fully depleted battery in about 8 hours. You can also swap the battery among your other Black & Decker cordless lawn tools that are compatible with 20-volt MAX lithium-ion batteries.
It’s backed by a two-year limited warranty.
- Ideal for cultivating garden beds, landscape beds and weeding
- 20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery provides longer battery, life year after year
- Counter-oscillating tines prevent weeds from tangling
- Lightweight upright design helps lessen arm fatigue while cultivating
- Adjustable handle and telescoping tube; soft-grip handle
- Weighs 8.1 pounds
- Energy Star rated
- Backed by a 2-year limited warranty
- Powerful: 24-volt 2. 0 Ah rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery provides up to 30 minutes of runtime
- Dual blades: Dual tilling blades cultivate a 4. 25 wide by 6 deep path in a single pass
- DURABLE: 6-inch durable steel tilling blades easily slice through weeds and loosen soil
- Telescopic: pole extends from 28. 3 to 37. 3
- Ergonomic: auxiliary handle takes the pain and strain out of yard Chores
Powered by revolutionary iON lithium-ion technology, 24V-TLR’s 24-Volt 2.0 Ah battery provides up to 30 minutes of rechargeable runtime!
Go where no tiller has gone before with the dual 6-inch tilling blades! 10 durable, steel tilling prongs easily cultivate in tight or cramped quarters.
Lightweight at just 6 lbs
features a telescopic pole which extends up to 37 inches and an adjustable auxiliary handle, to take the pain and strain out of yard chores!
- 6-inch durable steel tilling blades easily slice through weeds and loosen soil
- Dual tilling blades cultivate a 4.25” wide by 6” deep path in a single pass
- Lightweight at just 6 lbs for maximum comfort control
- Telescopic pole extends from 28.3” to 37.3”
- 6 adjustable tines
- Adjustable 11″ To 16″ Width/ 8″ Working depth
- Powerful 13.5 amp
- Comfortable ergonomic handle. Assembled product dimensions (L x w x h)-40.00 x 19.00 x 42.00 inches
- Lightweight, easy to operate, and convenient to store.Tine length:16 inch
Compact, yet powerful handheld tiller/cultivator for your home garden
Garden tiller that is reliable and easy to start
The Earthwise corded tiller/cultivator is a reliable gardening companion that starts every time, as long as it is plugged in properly in an electrical outlet.
It has a compact and planet-conscious design that makes tiling quick and easy.
This garden tiller also has an ergonomic handle for your comfort, so you can cultivate more soil in your garden without straining your hands.
Earthwise garden tiller gives you all of the power that you need to cultivate your small or medium-sized garden.
This rototiller has 4 powerful tines that effectively gets down in the dirt to cultivate the soil.
easy to start with its single-lever switch that starts every time.
has a soft ergonomic grip to give you a comfortable tilling experience. also has a cord retention hook for uninterrupted tilling power.
- Powerful: 13. 5-Amp motor cultivates up to 16 in. Wide x 8 in. Deep
- Durable: 6 Steel angled tines for maximum durability and performance
- Easy storage: handle folds for convenient storage and easy transport
- Wheel-adjustment: 3-position wheel adjustment
Snow Joe + Sun Joe
effortlessly slicing through the soil at 370 RPM, ensuring maximum aeration and perfectly preparing the seedbed for planting.
Control weeds where needed – Sun Joe tames the toughest yard and garden tasks with more comfort and less strain.
its collapsible handle makes it a cinch to store when it’s not.
- Powerful 13.5-amp motor cultivates up to 16 in. wide x 8 in. deep
- 6 durable steel angled tines for maximum durability and performance
- Handle folds for convenient storage and easy transport
- 3-position wheel adjustment make it easy to maneuver wherever it’s needed
The TJ604E comes with a full two-year warranty.
After cultivating your beds and garden next step is to fertilize it and here we provide you with some alternative ways to fertilizer other than fertilizers check this article for more informations